Thursday 18 April 2013

Secret Doors

Continuing off of old children's stories and tying nicely into spring, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. See this trailer for the 1993 version with Dame Maggie Smith in it, directed by Agnieszka Holland.


Well this was the version from my childhood, don't get me started on the 2001 'sequel'. Looking at this film again now I think that it holds up well over time, it is period correct (just look at the 70s Austen films and you'll catch my drift) and is still as charming as I remember it.

Between The Secret Garden and Narnia, another favourite series, you have this post: Secret Doors. Here are some of my favourites...

Pauline De Rothschild's NYC apt.

- maybe create a secret garden indoors?


-or make your home the secret.


I always love hidden doors, and bookcases.


Well, this would be a dream come true..

- a very unexpected secret door, to the butler's pantry?

 6.
- and because I'm me, how to make one. Though I have no place for one. Maybe for the day when I do a set design for a stage production of a murder-mystery and the killer escaped through the secret door?

And to leave on a high note, Narnia anyone? Who wouldn't want this in their house, even as an adult? Imagine being a kid and having your parents turn this into the door to your playroom? Though as a set/ costume designer, I would probably go overboard and add trees...









No comments:

Post a Comment